Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I was pulled over for what she said was suppose to be

Hi I was pulled...

Hi I was pulled over for what she said was suppose to be speeding but she gave me a careless driving ticket that she said was $85 and two points on my license I am a 19 yr old in college and have no idea how to pay or fight this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

I think so I’m not sure. Would it say it on the ticket?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just that I don’t know what to do.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m 20yrs old sorry I just turning 20 in May
6/11/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Were you provided the option on your citation to either pay the fine or request a court date?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The ticket itself doesn’t say that there are points it just says amount of penalty:$85 does that mean anything or does it usually not say anything about points?

You would follow those instructions to select whether you would like to pay the ticket now (in which case you admit guilt for the careless driving allegation), OR you could select the option to attend a court date.

In court, you would be given the opportunity to contest the ticket.

The officer would have to appear in court and testify to the events of that day, or provide a reading from their radar.

This ticket carries two points.

You can also elect to attend a defensive driving course which should get those points removed from your record.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I need to pay a fine of any kind if I try to get the points removed?

You would pay the $85 fine for the ticket, and then you would pay for the cost of the defensive driving course.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to call the court and plea no guilty in order to do that?

No, to pay the ticket you would be admitting guilt. You would check the box for payment, include a check or money order, and mail it in to the address provided on the citation.

You could then elect the defensive driving course to get the points removed.

If you want to contest the ticket, you would request the court date.

You would then have an opportunity in court to contest the allegations against you.

The judge can either rule in your favor and dismiss the ticket (in which case you don't have to pay the fine, there would be no points, no need for the defensive driving course) OR find you guilty (in which case you can pay the fine and then do the defensive driving course).

I hope that helps clarify! Let me know if you still have questions about this.

Don't forget to rate, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay so sounds like either way I won’t get points so I’m going to try to contest the ticket. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate before leaving, thank you!

Nisha Jones