Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

If passing a car and excelerate to do so and then proceed to…

Customer Question
If passing a car...

If passing a car and excelerate to do so and then proceed to enter another lane which I am over the spped limit, & then process of slowing down in that lane and then get a speeding ticket. is this a valid ticket?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Lake county Indiana highway ( 55 speed limit ) and clocks me at 88.3 miles per hour

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No, just pay the fine.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No... just wanting to know if I can lower the fine if I can or just have the ticket dropped.

Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Traffic Law
5/31/2018
Traffic Lawyer: Nate, Attorney replied 18 days ago
Nate, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

The law does not make a distinction for passing when involving speed limit violations. The ticket is valid if you were clocked going over the posted speed limit for whatever reason. In fact, in this case, you could have been cited for reckless or careless driving. at over 30 mph over the posted limit, so a speeding ticket is actually not a bad result since you got caught.

If your driving record is clean the court may offer you traffic school. That would be the only way to completely defeat the ticket in this circumstance. If that isn't offered, attempt to get it reduced to a 16-25 mph over violation - that will save points on your record and insurance increase costs.

Nate, Attorney