Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

How does a vechile need to be impounded before towing

Customer Question
How long does a...

How long does a vechile need to be impounded before towing company can take ownership of vehicle

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I was in girlfriends name all legal she is in jail but I have poa papers from her but I got pulled and went to jail for 60 days on a warrant I went right over yher and the said the took ownership a week earlier

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Found out I had suspended licence

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Traffic Law
5/29/2018
Traffic Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 19 days ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Traffic Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 19 days ago

I need to understand more about this situation. When was the vehicle impounded and why was it impounded? To whom did they send the notice of impoundment? Who currently has ownership and possession of the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
It was impounded 3-20 and notice was sent to her mother address cuz that's on her licence the registration is addressed to local bmv cuz she was homeless at time a nd ppl who towed car own it now but I don't think car can be sold has flood damage from me
Putting it in water
Traffic Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 18 days ago

In Indiana, a towing service or storage yard may dispose of an abandoned vehicle not less than thirty (30) days after the date on which the towing service removed the abandoned vehicle. They must provide 15 days notice of their intent to claim the vehicle.

Since the car has water damage, you may be able to negotiate with the tow company. I suspect that all they want to recover is their towing costs. If you can afford to pay them, they might give you the car back.

If the car does not function, it may be you can break it down and sell the parts. Ironically, you will probably get more money for it that way than if you sold the entire car. The last resort would be to sell the whole car for scrap metal.

I hope this helps. Please go ahead and rate me. I get no credit for my work for you until you rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question, I would appreciate it if you ranked my service excellent/5 stars at the top of the page. A BONUS is also appreciated if you think that I have earned one.

Traffic Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 13 days ago

Have I answered all your questions? If so, please rate me. I get no credit for my work for you unless you rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee.

Edward Young
Edward Young
Edward Young