Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic. I live in Michigan but i got the ticket in Illinois…

Customer Question
I live in Michigan...

I live in Michigan but i got the ticket in Illinois

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Traffic Law
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I got a ticket driving a rental car back to Illinois from Michigan. I was going 74 in a 70 and then it transitioned to a 45mph zone before the toll area. I thought I would just be paying a fine but he said i have a court date.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I dont have the time or the money to go all the way to chicago. Im a student and I am in school. What are my options?
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/26/2018
Traffic Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney replied 28 days ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Okay Thank you.

Unfortunately, I don't have very good news for you. The reason that you must appear is that this is not a mere traffic infraction. If you were going more than 24 miles over the limit, the charge is actually a B misdemeanor. They can also add the charge of reckless driving if they want to, because excessive speed is per se reckless.

What does this mean? It means someone's got to appear for this case or a warrant is going to issue for your arrest. If it can't be you, you're going to have to retain a Chicago criminal lawyer to see if he can get this case knocked down to a traffic infraction and resolved for you in your absence.

Contact the Illinois Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a fee of about $50 for the referral but that includes a half hour free intiial consultation with the lawyer. You can have that via the phone so that you don't have to come in just to meet the lawyer.

Traffic Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney replied 27 days ago

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.