Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I received a violation 23302A1. Stating that I fail to pay…

Customer Question
I received a violation...

I received a violation 23302A1. Stating that I fail to pay for the toll. I forgot to switch my trasponder back to 1 person after my last used. I didn't not to pay the toll, but is worth fighting this and maybe just to agree in paying the toll owed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes But have the option to pay citation only without court appearance

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is all

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Traffic Law
4/3/2018
Traffic Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 22 days ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

That statute is a strict liability offense, meaning that a person is liable if the toll is not paid when going through the crossing or highway. The reason that it wasn't paid isn't legally relevant. I understand that this was an honest mistake, but the state puts the burden on you as the driver to adjust your transponder to reflect the number of people in the car.

It is extremely difficult to dispute a toll violation notice, unless they made a mistake and you can show that the toll was paid or your car had been stolen before the vehicle went through the toll. Even if you went to court, chances are that you'd still have to pay the original toll, plus the penalty.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Traffic Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 20 days ago

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer