Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I am a California driver but got into a minor car accident…

Customer Question
I am a California driver...
I am a California driver but got into a minor car accident in Kauai (Hawaii). I rear ended a car while taking a right turn. A police officer came on the scene and stated that Kauai has a no fault policy meaning damages are usually split 50/50. I gave them my license and contact info and the officer gave me a case number. I was driving a rental car from Hertz and he said to notify them when I returned the car. When I dropped off the car, hertz said there was no damage to the rental and didn’t have me fill out any paperwork. What am I supposed to do now? Do I risk contacting my own insurance company to report it myself? Or do I just do nothing? I attached a picture of the damages to the other car that was hit
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
4/3/2018
Traffic Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

What am I supposed to do now? Do I risk contacting my own insurance company to report it myself? Or do I just do nothing? I attached a picture of the damages to the other car that was hit

Response: Do nothing since you were driving a rental when the accident occurred and the rental company did not ask you to complete forms for the accident. Also and more importantly, your personal insurance policy would have nothing to do with the accident since you were covered by rental insurance at the time of the accident. so, nothing would be gained by notifying your insurance company.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I wasn’t covered under the rental insurance since I didn’t opt to purchase it. Does that change anything?

Thank you for the information.

No, it does not change anything because your regular insurance will not cover the accident since you were driving a rental.

But since the police officer took my information won’t the other driver inquire about it and contact them? Aren’t I legally responsible to follow up after an accident?

Anything is possible. However, I stand by my previous responses.

Okay but I’m still trying to understand if I’m legally responsible to report it or connect with the other driver?