Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I got a ticket today. He gave me the ticket under 14-298 -

Customer Question
Hello, I got a ticket...
Hello, I got a ticket today. He gave me the ticket under 14-298 - violation of all regulations under 14-29. He posted the speed I was doing and speed limit posted 78 on a 55. I’m just wondering if I pay it will it affect my licenses or insurance or should I plead guilty? I live in Connecticut.
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/31/2018
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 25 days ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Yes, paying the ticket is an admission of guilt and may have a negative effect on your insurance as well as your license. It is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 22 days ago

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
If I plead guilty is there any chance I could get it dropped in return for a charitable donation ?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Not guilty * I mean
Good morning and great to hear back from you. I just kindly ask that you remember to rate my help at the top, just so the site provides me with the proper credit. Thank you for understanding. I am sorry to say but this would not be dropped as a result of a donation. You could see if the court offers any type of diversion which would result in that but a donation would not allow the case to just be dismissed.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
what does a diversion mean?
It is typically an offer by the court, whereby a defendant can get a case dismissed if they comply with certain conditions imposed for a period of time. In this case it could be not picking up any new moving violations within a 3 or 6 month period of time and as a result having the case dismissed. It can be asked about when you appear in court.
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 19 days ago

CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney