Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I got a ticket and forgot to pay it yesterday how do I go…

Customer Question
I got a ticket...

I got a ticket and forgot to pay it yesterday how do I go about this

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes can I just call them today and pay it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/29/2018
Traffic Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The starting point, as soon as they open, is to call the traffic court. The number should be on your ticket. When a person gets a ticket that they don't pay or dispute by the due date, the judge sometimes enters a bench warrant. Your next steps are going to depend on whether that happened, because if there's a bench warrant and you get stopped for speeding, the officer could take you to jail and impound your car. It's easy to take care of, as long as you know about it, but can cause big problems if you don't know to do it.

When there is a warrant, what you'd do is ask the clerk of the court to put a date on the calendar for you to go to the courthouse. Once there, you'll apologize for missing the due date on the ticket and ask the judge to recall the warrant. He should do it. Then you can either pay or dispute the ticket as usual.

If there is no warrant, you should be able to just pay the ticket. But in an abundance of caution, you might want to check again in another week or so, just in case it didn't appear in the system right away.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any other questions for me?