Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Just wanted to get opinions on a car accident my husband was…

Just wanted to get opinions...
Just wanted to get opinions on a car accident my husband was involved in. I thought it best to provide details in order to hopefully get the most suitable response.He was driving down interstate 95 south bound the evening of the day of a snow storm. The snowing had stopped before he drove. Some streets had been cleared. The highway was mostly cleared with some patchy areas and slushy conditions. He was in left lane and ran into one of those patches and slid onto the left shoulder into snow and into guide wires but not through them. There was some damage to the front of the car but it was driveable and bumper mostly intact (insurance said repairs totaled 4000.00). A tow truck helped to get the car out of the snow as the tires spun when he tried himself to get out of it. The cop with lights on was at the scene for about hour or so until the tow truck came as the rear of our car was sticking out a bit into left lane.A police report was obtained but the officer did not mention anything else. A week later a summons citing section 3361 (Pennsylvania) was sent to us.So, i guess given all of this, should he still plead not guilty and pay fee and try to contest in order to avoid getting points (this is his first time) and might he have a chance of this outcome. Or given situation, is he better off pleading guilty, paying fine and getting points (if you plead guilty does this automatically lead to getting points?)
Since taking time off work would be lost income for him in addition to costs. Also, I wonder if insurance would be impacted only if he has points or that he got a summons in the first place. Although in this situation, I'm guessing insurance sees this as an at fault accident already.Sorry for the long winded question here but hopefully enough details to give you a picture to respond to... thanks in advance
3/23/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

So, i guess given all of this, should he still plead not guilty and pay fee and try to contest in order to avoid getting points (this is his first time) and might he have a chance of this outcome.

Response 1: He cannot plead not guilty and also pay the fee. He can do either, but not both. Under the circumstances, he should plead not guilty and not pay the fee because the weather conditions caused his car to spin off the road.

Or given situation, is he better off pleading guilty, paying fine and getting points (if you plead guilty does this automatically lead to getting points?)

Response 2: No, because this would affect his insurance premium.

Since taking time off work would be lost income for him in addition to costs. Also, I wonder if insurance would be impacted only if he has points or that he got a summons in the first place. Although in this situation, I'm guessing insurance sees this as an at fault accident already.

Response 3: Not exactly because of the weather conditions. That's why he needs to go to Court to determine his fate. If the Court finds him responsible for the accident after the hearing in the case, his insurance premium would go up. Otherwise, his insurance premium, will not go up if the Court finds that the accident was not his fault.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Ok thank you very much!