Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I was driving and pulled over for speeding, and

Hi there! I was...

Hi there! I was driving and pulled over for speeding, and unfortunately the temporary license plate taped to my car fell into my trunk (I drive an SUV, and it was taped to the back of the trunk window) - and the other expired one was still attached in the license plate holder. I was issued a ticket for unlawfully operating the vehicle and also a speeding ticket because the officer wouldn't let me get out of the car to show him the temporary plate that hadn't expired on the car. I'm moving to Colorado next week, so I'm worried I won't be able to get a court case in order. What kind of infraction is this in the state of Indiana? If this is my first offense on my driving record, what will this look like for me?

Lawyer's Assistant: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No, but I can choose to or pay the ticket

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was driving and pulled over for speeding, and unfortunately the temporary license plate taped to my car fell into my trunk (I drive an SUV, and it was taped to the back of the trunk window) - and the other expired one was still attached in the license plate holder. I was issued a ticket for unlawfully operating the vehicle and also a speeding ticket because the officer wouldn't let me get out of the car to show him the temporary plate that hadn't expired on the car. I'm moving to Colorado next week, so I'm worried I won't be able to get a court case in order. What kind of infraction is this in the state of Indiana? If this is my first offense on my driving record, what will this look like for me?

3/22/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Unlawful operation of a vehicle is a Class C infraction. That means the maximum penalty is a fine of up to $500. It's not a moving violation, so it shouldn't affect your license (as long as you show up to court or pay the ticket before the due date). With that said, if you can go in and show them that your license and registration were valid on the date you were pulled over, they should dismiss the ticket. Then you'd only have to deal with the speeding ticket.

If you pay the ticket, you will get points on your Indiana license. Those points will transfer to Colorado - although it could take a while, since you'll be getting a new license. For an adult over the age of 21, Colorado will suspend your license if you get 12 or more points within a 12 month period, or 18 points within a 24 month period. One ticket shouldn't be a big problem, but it can cause your insurance to increase. The exact amount is going to depend in part on the insurance company, but can also depend on differences between insurance costs in Indiana and Colorado.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer