Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

What are the consequences of just paying a traffic ticket…

Customer Question
What are the consequences...

What are the consequences of just paying a traffic ticket for 40 in a 25 VS trying to get a reduction of the speed? No violations in many years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

In Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Trying to reduce the driving and insurance points. Also would taking a safe driving course help?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/20/2018
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 3 months ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Just paying it is an admission of guilt and points can be assessed. If you are trying to reduce this and avoid points, It is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

That is helpful. Thank you. I expected a $5.00 charge but there is an additional $23.00 charge pending on my card. I did not ask for that. Please remove it. Thank you.

You are welcome. Customer service can assist with any issues with payment. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.