Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I got a 21651(a) verbal warning (because I did not drive…

I got a 21651(a)...

I got a 21651(a) verbal warning (because I did not drive cross a divided highway but was just merging back from a highway exit). But the officer was not so nice and gave me a 21755(a)-unsafe pass on right, but he wrote "pass on a shoulder" next to 21755(a). I am doing a written trial by written declaration now. I have picture to show it's not possible to drive on the shoulder (narrow shoulder). What key points should I write to fight it off? Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

CA. No. It's a very a simple matter, I think the citation is very doubtful as stated above.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No.. I requested written trial

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just the above

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/20/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

First thing you need to be aware of is trial by written declaration rarely are successful, regardless of your arguments. So do not be surprised if it is denied and you have to pay the bond and go to a real trial. If he wrote you for passing on the shoulder, then your photographs of the shoulder showing it is not possible to drive on the shoulder of the road would be your defense that should clear you of the citation. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so you need to point out in your declaration that if the court pays close attention to the photographs they would see clearly that you could not drive on the shoulder as it was alleged in the citation and as such the citation should be dismissed.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. Can you please also comment what exactly is code 21755 (a) be used? The code is for unsafe pass on right but he misused it for "passing on shoulder". While I believe this conflict of usage and meaning of the code reveal the real situation: that he was merely trying to cite me for passing on the right (as I was merging back from exit lane of the highway back to the 2nd right lane, slightly passed the area where the dotted white line became solid white lane. It was NOT a unsafe pass but a safe merge and it would be unsafe if I did not merge back. Could you comment how may this help me -pls refer to the photos photos attached to see what I mean. Also do you know if the officer is required to submit his story by the same due date when I submit mine, or later? Finally, do you mean if Judge cannot agree with me then he will not automatically convict me but will instead call a real trial? Thanks again.

Thank you for your reply.

Unsafe passing is for any type of passing that the police says is not safe. It is a general catch all charge for any passing of any kind. The fact that he put on there the passing was on the shoulder, he was simply describing the type of improper passing.

Do not try to pick words apart in the statute, that is where pro se litigants get slammed by the court. Pro se litigants do it all the time, trying to play semantics with the language in the statute. You can argue how your driving action was not unsafe and why it was not unsafe and also show that it was not possible to be on the shoulder, that is your argument.

The officer would get notice of the declaration and submits his story. But I will tell you in most all written declarations, the court finds people guilty and forces them to file for a real trial in court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks the part about focusing on why it's not unsafe is very helpful. Lastly, I heard if the officer did not care to write his declaration then the case is dismissed. Is that correct? Actually that's why some people say it's easier to fight off this way. But I guess my other question is: Judge will not convict me unless there is a real trial (sounds like that what you are saying). Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

No the judge WILL convict you with a written declaration and that forces you to appeal and pay the appeal bond to get a real trial. The officers almost always write their response in, but if they do not do so, then it would be dismissed, but you cannot count on that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also you mean the officer get to read my declaration first, and then before he write his? That's sound not very fair. Usually how long the officer has before his response (to my declaration) is due? Can the Judge say he cannot decide based on both sides' stories being not clear,and then what will happen?If I decide to not appeal then there is no appeal bond, correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will leave 5 star feedback after I am clear about the process - thanks, it;'s my first time trying written declaration...

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the officer gets to see what your defense is and write his response. That is how the process works, whether you believe it is fair or not (it isn't really fair, it is traffic court and a money maker, not a fair process we think about in criminal courts). I will tell you in 95% of the cases we see on written declaration the judge finds them guilty and forces them to go through the appeal process.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for letting me know. I guess I am trying to understand why "forcing them to go" - the judge cannot force me to appeal if I say "enough with it" correct. But I guess what I really want to find out is if I can ask to change to a in person trial now - my declaration is due 3/26 next Monday. The court is in town and easily accessible. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I mean, correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is the odds of appeal success? My normal understand is that appeals are usually hard.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please respond to the above. I will have to prepare breakfast for my family soon and be away until 8:30. If still time for me to change to real trial I will run to court today. I hate to waste hard-earn money on this....
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already paid $294 bond on this white-line crossing to 2nd right lane to avoid exiting ......it's really ridiculous. I also mentioned to the officers other people are crossing back too, and he said I was in front of him :-(

Thank you for your reply.

In Traffic court, generally about 30% of the people are ever found not guilty. It is a very one sided process against the violator because it is a money maker.

Yes, it is ridiculous, but traffic court is generally called kangaroo court for that reason. You need to go sit in traffic court and just watch what happens if you do not believe me.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney