Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I am 19 and have never had a traffic violation. I had a

Customer Question
I am 19 and...

I am 19 and have never had a traffic violation. I had a wreck on March 11 and totaled my vehicle. I have been charged with careless and reckless and expired tag. I was not speeding, tire went off the road and I over corrected basically. I was not under the influence of anything. The law gave me test at the scene. I was wondering if I should just go to court on the appointed day and try to plead my case or do I need a lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

I have a court date of May 9, so I imagine I need to appear

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/19/2018
Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Thanks for your patience while I typed up my response.

Under NC state law reckless driving is classified as a class 2 misdemeanor.

That means that it is punishable by up to 60 days in jail and up to $1000 in fines.

It can also result in 4 points being assessed against your license.

These are the maximum possible penalties, other possibilities for a conviction could include probation, lesser jail time, community service hours, and/or a lesser fine.

If this is your first ever criminal offense, then you should be eligible for the pre trial diversion program.

This is a program for first time offenders, and usually entails driver education classes, community service hours, and/or a fine.

Then upon successful completion of the program, the charges against you are dismissed.

Ultimately the decision is up to you whether to hire a lawyer or to represent yourself, but yes it would be advisable to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you in this matter.

Your attorney may be able to get the charges dismissed outright and help keep your record clean.

Your attorney can raise all defenses on your behalf, prepare any motions or other filings on your behalf, and appear in court alongside you to make all legal arguments.

You can contact the North Carolina State Bar for a referral to a criminal defense lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(919)(###) ###-####/a>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Did u review my question?
Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes, I sent a response earlier, did you not receive it?

I'll copy and paste it now and re-send it to you.

Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

The phone number is:

(919)(###) ###-####/a>

I hope that helps!

19 Mar 2018, 5:29 PM

Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

I'm not sure why that didn't get sent to you earlier.

I've just re-sent it, please let me know if you've received it now. Thanks!

Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!