Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Is my car still currently licensed/registered if my car

insurance canceled...
Is my car still currently licensed/registered if my car insurance canceled
Answered in 1 day by:
3/18/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. In what US state are you and how long have you been without insurance?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My daughter name Zoey.
But my car has been uninsured for about 8 months. I had it sitting up at my mom house cause it was broke

Say hello to your daughter for me! The name's become popular lately.

Typically, if your car is uninsured, that would not immediately affect your license, but if you've let the insurance lapse because the car isn't drivable, you're supposed to surrender your plates. If you don't and if the insurance company reports the lapse to the DMV your registration and license can be affected. Additionally, it can be difficult for you to get new insurance when you have a working car again.

So yes, eventually, it's possible to lose your license and your registration over this. If you are not sure whether that has happened to you, in most states, you can check the status of your license online on your state DMV's website. I don't know what US state you're in because you didn't tell me when I asked. But if your state isn't as up to date with technology as others, you could call the DMV and ask about the status of your license/registration and they'd tell you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm in Louisiana. I now have insurance on my car. DMV said it was suspended due to the lapsed of insurance. So I need to know does that mean it wasn't current licensed?

If the DMV suspended your license/registration, then you must do more than put insurance on the car. You would have to go to the OMV and pay any fines and penalties for the lapsed insurance and then pay the reinstatement fees. Until you do that, your license/registration would still be suspended.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney