Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

My daughter was in an accident yesterday, where a school bus…

Hello,My daughter was in an...
Hello,My daughter was in an accident yesterday, where a school bus t-boned her car in the side. Luckily her and her girlfriend we not injured. However, we went today to all the police dept. to interview her about what happened.The office indicated that they already had spoken with her the moment during the accident.1) My daughter is a minor, 16yrs old?
2) She had no indicated who was speaking with her because she was not in the current state of mind.
3) The police office is writing the report without any further statement.Is it appropriate protocol to question a minor at the scene of an accident?
3/15/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Yes, it is completely appropriate.

Being a minor does not create any special protocol when they are driving a car and in an accident. The police will question them at the scene, just as they would any other driver or witness, if they are able to give information relevant to the accident investigation.

The officer is not required to take additional statements, if they believe they have enough information to write up the report.

Remember, the police report is just one piece of evidence and is not written in stone or brought down from the mountain. I have seen many a police report ripped to shreds when the reporting officer is cross examined in court.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Thank you,Therefore, will they in all likelihood issue a ticket? (One was not given at the scene)And we just need to go to court to negotiate the points off?
Any suggestions?

If they did not issue a citation at the scene, it certainly and significantly reduces the likelihood that one will be issued now.

In the event one is issued, retain local traffic court counsel and go to court. It is possible the witnesses will not show (it happens a lot) and then the ticket will be dismissed.

Otherwise, the attorney can work out a deal to keep it off her record or minimize the impact.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer