Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I recently was charged with driving on a suspended license…

Customer Question
I recently was charged with...
I recently was charged with driving on a suspended license in the state of PA. I had zero idea my license was suspended and paid off my fines immediately. What do I do to get this plead down? I'm not trying to break the law, I just want to pay my fines and move on- but if I plead guilty I lose my license for a year which could cripple me
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/15/2018
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 4 months ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Why would you lose your license?

Okay. What information do you need?

In a situation like this, you want to speak with the prosecutor assigned to the case and see if they would agree to amend the charge to a lesser or even dismiss it, as a result of your taking care of this, paying the fines and reinstating your license. If you can show them that the suspension was a result of unpaid fines and you were not aware of this and once you were, you paid it off and now have a valid license, the State may decide to dismiss this, if it was your first offense. If they will not dismiss it, you can see if they would amend it to something lesser, so that no suspension will result.

I do this before pleaing yes?
Oh, I lost my license because I didn't pay a ticket I did not receive in the mail.
correct. When you get there speak with the prosecutor assigned to the case and explain the situation. Of course if you didn’t receive notice and did not know it was suspended you may have a defense if you want to fight it
They informed me there was no prosecutor attached to the case, just a police officer. Does that make the officer a prosecutor?

How long ago did this happen and when it your court date?

Almost two weeks ago, and in mid April

Yes, it is possible that this has yet to be assigned. You would speak with them the day of court when you appear.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!