Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I have an abandoned vehicle in my backyard. It has no

Customer Question
I have an abandoned...

I have an abandoned vehicle in my backyard. It has no registration or title. I have sold my houses and it must be moved. How do I get a title and registration for it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

No attorney. Abandoned vehicle on my property that I must move. I need a title and registration for it. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just that I need to get legal.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/14/2018
Traffic Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is my answer

Are you looking to keep the vehicle or do you just need it moved?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Keep it after I have a mechanic assess it.

I understand. I don't see what state this is in. What state is this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
New Mexico

Ok, thanks. One moment...

Ok, according to the state of NM:

An abandoned vehicle is one that has been determined by a New Mexico law enforcement agency: (1) to have been left unattended on either public or private property for at least thirty days; (2) not to have been reported stolen; (3) not to have been claimed by any person asserting ownership; and (4) not to have been shown by normal record-checking procedures to be owned by any person.

If the vehicle is at least eight years old or is totally wrecked or nonrepairable, then the property owner has to follow these steps:

• Property owner obtains written clearance from a law enforcement agency stating that neither the agency’s records nor NCIC records indicate that the abandoned vehicle or motor vehicle has been reported as stolen.
  • The property owner may then sell the vehicle to a licensed motor vehicle dealer, wholesaler or recycler.
  • If the vehicle is wrecked/nonrepairable, it may only be sold to a recycler/dismantler.

There are a few ofther, very specific procedures you have to follow if you want the car. If you click here and here (official), you can see descriptions of the checklist that you can follow (that would be way too much for me to put here).

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Ely, Attorney