Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

In Reno, Nevada, is the owner liable if they were trying to…

In Reno, Nevada, is the...
In Reno, Nevada, is the owner liable if they were trying to sell a motorcycle, and let someone ride it, and they broke traffic laws? Ran from the police, ran red lights, split lanes, etc..?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
legal
legal, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

The owner of a vehicle can be liable for "negligent entrustment' if they knew or should have known that the individual entrusted had a habit/pattern of driving recklessly.

So for example if a person gives another person that has several DUI/DWIs the keys to their car the person can be liable based on that theory.
But when selling a car/bike if the owner does not know the individual it would be difficult to impose liability.

would "negligent entrustment" mean the owner receives all charges that would have been given to the rider? or does it come with it's own punishments?What if the rider was a random person that was attempting to purchase the bike, and rode outside of the limitations he was given by the owner? And then proceeded to not notify the owner of breaking the laws?

That is actually a civil term-so the person can be liable for the damage caused (ie economic damage)

A third party cannot be liable for any crimes committed by another person. The only time a person can be criminally responsible is if they "aid and abet" or "conspire".

legal
legal, Attorney
Okay. Very helpful and insanely quick response time. Thank you again!