Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

If there's a stop sign with a right arrow and its not posted…

If there's a stop...

If there's a stop sign with a right arrow and its not posted right turn only and I make a left turn is that a violation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA; Riverside County. Corona, CA. I was leaving my doctors office

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I did receive a courtesy notice. Citation # C553542, Violation(s): 1) 21461A-VC-1. Case Number: C553542JL

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I haven't received any moving violations in over 20 years if that helps

3/14/2018
Nate, Attorney

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

An arrow acts as authorizing only the action pointed to by the arrow. For instance, a plain green light, no arrow, indicates one may proceed in any direction, but a left turn always has a duty to yield. If there is only a right turn arrow, a left turn is not allowed.

At worse, a violation of 21461A-VC-1 is a 1 point violation. Since you have a clean driving record you would be eligible for traffic school which will maintain your clean record. Make sure you request traffic school. They don't always automatically offer it to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your response. If you look at the attached picture, it shows like there is a lane for the right turn and also a stop for a left turn. Its two separate parking lots: doctors office on the right side and convalescent home on left side. I was exiting from drs office and made left to stop sign in front of the stop showing on the road and made the left turn. If that makes sense.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As much as I would like to talk to you, I just can't afford the $59 at this time.

We don't have to talk, they just offer that sometimes. Chatting is fine.

Okay. I see better now.

The right turn only sign and the markings on the pavement are fairly straightforward, in my experience. My suggestion is that you should attempt to get traffic school. That seems like the best option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one more question?? Will the one point affect me adversely on my driving record to a large extent??

No not all. You'd have to do a lot more than this to have any adverse effects. For example, you'd have to do something like this three more times in the next year before anything could happen, and even then it's not likely. After 36 months the point will go away.

Nate, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you and have a great day.
Nate, Attorney