Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

California-- Do police departments give tickets or tow cars…

California-- Do police departments give...
California-- Do police departments give tickets or tow cars that partially block my two-car garage on a private street? Many times they block my garage in such a way that I can get one car in, but not the second car. Or it would be very difficult to get the cars out of the garage.
3/13/2018
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

This is a violation of California Vehicle Code § 22500(e) and I know that the police in San Francisco write tickets for that almost every day, and they can also have the vehicle towed.

I hope this information is helpful

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I called the police and they said it is a private road and Code 22500 does not apply, so the police department cannot issue tickets or tow cars on a private street. The car is blocking my garage and I can only get one car in instead of two. Is the police department wrong?

Is the private road located in a town or city, or in an unincorporated part of a County?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is a private road located in Laguna Beach, California--a city

I will need to do some research on this; I expect to post again within 17 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Vehicle Code:

21107.7.

(a) Any city or county may, by ordinance or resolution, find and declare that there are privately owned and maintained roads as described in the ordinance or resolution within the city or county that are not generally held open for use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel but, by reason of their proximity to or connection with highways, the interests of any residents residing along the roads and the motoring public will best be served by application of the provisions of this code to those roads. No ordinance or resolution shall be enacted unless there is first filed with the city or county a petition requesting it by a majority of the owners of any privately owned and maintained road, or by at least a majority of the board of directors of a common interest development, as defined by Section 4100 or 6534 of the Civil Code, that is responsible for maintaining the road, and without a public hearing thereon and 10 days’ prior written notice to all owners of the road or all of the owners in the development. Upon enactment of the ordinance or resolution, the provisions of this code shall apply to the privately owned and maintained road if appropriate signs are erected at the entrance to the road of the size, shape, and color as to be readily legible during daylight hours from a distance of 100 feet, to the effect that the road is subject to the provisions of this code. The city or county may impose reasonable conditions and may authorize the owners, or board of directors of the common interest development, to erect traffic signs, signals, markings, and devices which conform to the uniform standards and specifications adopted by the Department of Transportation.

(b) The department shall not be required to provide patrol or enforce any provisions of this code on any privately owned and maintained road subjected to the provisions of this code under this section, except those provisions applicable to private property other than by action under this section.

(c) As used in this section, “privately owned and maintained roads” includes roads owned and maintained by a city, county, or district that are not dedicated to use by the public or are not generally held open for use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel.

Laguna Beach has not adopted such an ordinance that I could find, see

http://qcode.us/codes/lagunabeach/

You may have to file a petition with the City to make it enforce the Vehicle Code on your private road.

I am sorry this is not the answer you had hoped for, but it would be unfair to you, and unprofessional of me, not to provide accurate information.

The only way around this I have found is Vehicle Code § 22658, which provides, in part:

"(a) The owner or person in lawful possession of private property, including an association of a common interest development as defined in Sections 4080 and 4100 or Sections 6528 and 6534 of the Civil Code, may cause the removal of a vehicle parked on the property to a storage facility that meets the requirements of subdivision (n) under any of the following circumstances:

(1) There is displayed, in plain view at all entrances to the property, a sign not less than 17 inches by 22 inches in size, with lettering not less than one inch in height, prohibiting public parking and indicating that vehicles will be removed at the owner’s expense, and containing the telephone number of the local traffic law enforcement agency and the name and telephone number of each towing company that is a party to a written general towing authorization agreement with the owner or person in lawful possession of the property. The sign may also indicate that a citation may also be issued for the violation." ///

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney

Thank you very much for the great rating!

N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney