Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Please describe the crime of improper driver license in the…

Please describe the crime of...
Please describe the crime of improper driver license in the state of GA?
3/8/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Have you been charged with driving without a license?

No. I am doing a background check on someone else

There's no statute in Georgia's penal code called "Improper driver license." This person would have been charged with driving with no license, driving with a suspended or revoked license, or driving with a false license. I've linked you to the statutes for each of them below.

Here are the elements of driving without a license:

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-40/chapter-5/article-2/40-5-20

Here's driving on a revoked or suspended license:

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-40/chapter-5/article-6/40-5-121

And finally, here's showing someone else's license or a false license as your own:

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-40/chapter-5/article-6/40-5-125/

It states improper driver license as the charge. You know, that may be in the state of NC. Is there such in the state of NC. Thanks for the links
Right now I am looking at informative k from a protective order.

No. There is no code section in North Carolina called Improper Driver License either.

Driving without a proper license would still have to conform to one of the offenses I mentioned above: either driving with no license at all or with an expired, revoked, foreign or suspended license. Or driving with a fake license.

Well that confirms my suspicion. Thanks.Is it the custom for one who fears that a warrant is out for his arrest to have a fake license?The clued seem to be leading that the individual is fleeing the state after being held in Contempt for back child support and/or violations of a protective order.

When someone is in arrears on child support and the arrearage reaches a certain amount, the DMV is notified and the person's license is suspended. In that way, he has to return to the state and to address the arrearage in order to legally drive. If he doesn't, he'll be pulled in the way this person was.

So it's more likely that he's got a suspended license than that he was using a fake one. But the latter is possible too.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Thank you for your patience. I want to follow this lead.After he goes the state to Texas, he married and the marriage certificate shows a different birthdate. I know that he drives. What way can the public check if a person has a valid driver's license in the state of Texas?

Sorry for the delay. I had a morning appointment away from my computer.

Driver's licenses and dMV records are not a matter of public information. If you're involved in litigation and the information is relevant to your case, you can subpoena his information from the DMV. The police would have access to this but again, so a private investigator who's got friends on the force should be able to come up with license information.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney