Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

If you are are ticked for careless driving in a parkling lot…

If you are are...

If you are are ticked for careless driving in a parkling lot who has to prove your gilt the police man who wrought the ticket or the person who called in the complanit

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Craig colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

To prove that you were driving carelessly, the state would have to bring in the person who witnessed the allegedly careless driving. A police officer cannot testify as to what someone else told him, because that's hearsay. The same is true with the police report - there's no way to cross-examine a police report, so the statements in it aren't admissible as evidence. That means, if whoever called in the complaint doesn't appear in court, you can request that the ticket be dismissed.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer