Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I got a letter saying they wouldn’t renew my drivers license…

Customer Question
I got a letter saying...
I got a letter saying they wouldn’t renew my drivers license until I took care of two traffic violations that I didn’t even know existed until now.
They have the correct dL # but misspelled my name & wrong address (don’t even recognize it).
I’m disabled so I need to be able to drive but I don’t know what to do. My SSDI check is only $1100/mo which barely pays rent.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
1/15/2018
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

You will need to go to the court where the tickets are issued and will need to see the clerk to pull the file. IF the name on the ticket is not correct and not your name, you need to ask to see the judge and you would need to file a motion to vacate/set aside and dismiss the citations based on them being invalid and not correctly identifying you as the driver. I know you cannot afford an attorney, but you can go to the legal aid office and ask for assistance or go to the court's public defender office for assistance as well to get representation to seek to get these citations dismissed.

You have to get them dismissed or paid before your license will be renewed I am afraid. So you need to go deal with them.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.