Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Live in Toledo Ohio. Received a red light photo enforcement…

Live in Toledo Ohio...

Live in Toledo Ohio. Received a red light photo enforcement notice(code 313.12). There is not a no turn on red sign posted anywhere at intersection.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What you mean? The notice says I have till the 22nd of this month to respond.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm making a right turn on red

1/14/2018
Layne Pecoff

I am a Traffic Law attorney expert and I will be helping you. Nice to meet you.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not create an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I will be answering your question with the expectation that if you are satisfied with my answer, you will give a positive rating.

I want to make sure I understand what you are asking:

~You made a right turn on red where there was no sign posted regarding it being illegal, and you were caught by the red light camera and you received a ticket.

Let me know which parts I got right and fill me in on the other parts and we'll go from there. Thanks!

Received 2 notices of liability notices in the mail for 2 separate infractions at that same intersection for that same reason. It is not attach to red light. It is it's own entity sitting up on a pole.

Ok, got it. I am not sure you are going to be happy with the answer. Although you are correct, you were permitted to make the right turn on red, the red light camera is capturing the fact that you are not coming to a STOP prior to making the right turn. And it is the law in Ohio that you must come to a full stop prior to continuing through the intersection.

As a former District Attorney myself, I can certainly appreciate the fact that the red light camera is intended to capture the photos of people who are "running" the red light, meaning passing straight through the intersection without stopping. However, the camera is catching you because you are not coming to a full stop. You can absolutely contest this. When you go to court, ask to see the photograph that was taken of your vehicle, as it will show that you are turning right. Present this to the DA and ask them to drop the charges and let her know you were unclear on the rule that you must come to a full stop, but be polite and say that you now know the rule and will absolutely follow it to a T. Its possible they will drop the charges, or just one, or that they will offer you to plead to a lesser charge. If that is the case, ask for a non-moving violation ticket instead, so there are no points accumulated on your record.

I wish you good luck with this and it was my pleasure to answer your question!

If I have answered your question and you are satisfied, please leave a positive rating and click FINISH.

It does not cost you anything to click and it is the only way I can get credit for my work, and of course a positive 5 star rating would be appreciated.

You can still ask me all your follow up questions, even after you please leave a positive rating at the top of your screen.

I wish you all the best in 2018.

Layne Pecoff
Left top notch rating. Thank you for the info.

Absolutely, it is my pleasure to help!

If you go to court and you have more questions, you can always post a question and ask for me directlyCustomer Best of luck to you!