Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I am looking for NJ traffic lawyer. I have a few queries to…

Hi.......I am looking for NJ...
Hi.......I am looking for NJ traffic lawyer. I have a few queries to ask.Situation : I (32 yrs mom) was driving with my 3 year old. I was going to take a left turn. So I stopped and saw that the road was clear and proceeded to take a turn. Suddenly from no where a guy was speeding and coming in my direction, he was also talking on the phone. I feared it and to try to avoid collision and tried to straighten back on my road. He to avoid collision took a turn towards my side. And we ended up on same side and collided. None of us were injured, but our cars got crashed and hence needed to be towed. I got a ticket. I need to appear in court on 26th Jan, 2018....to plead not guilty. The cop said she didnot cut any points for me.I have a international travel tommorow morning 13th Jan, 2018. The tickets have been booked 3 weeks back. My inlaws are really very sick and it is a family emergency. My return ticket is booked for March mid.1) Can I postponed the court hearing to March end?
2)What will happen if I don't postpone and go off on my travel?
3) What will happen if I plead guilty and pay $85? How all will I be affected.....what other charges I will need to pay.....?
4)They towed our car. What are the next steps I need to do?
5) Should I be present in the court physically or can I talk on a call too?
1/12/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What offense were you ticketed for? If you have the penal code section from the citation, that would be especially helpful.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Careless driving : likely to endanger person or.....
mun. Offense code :1204
ticket number :000578
Phone call session started

Thank you. I am going to have my lunch and will call you with the half hour.

Careless Driving in NJ is called a disorderly person's offense. Although it has a maximum possible penalty of 6 months in jail, it is considered to be something less than a crime. Crimes are indictable offenses in NJ, and this is not one of them.

Most commonly, the matter is disposed of with an $85 fine. You would be convicted of the offense, and that conviction would show on your driving and criminal history.

I'll address the rest of your question, when I call.

OK

Calling momentarily.

To find a traffic lawyer in New Jersey, try the New Jersey Bar Association's Lawer Referral SErvice. They charge a fee of around $50 for the lawyer, but that includes a free half-hour consultation with the attorney. They guarantee you a lawyer in good standing with his licensing authority.

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=NJ

There are also commercial lawyer referral services. One that has been around for a long time and is highly regarded is www.Martindale.com. Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client-rated to help you narrow down your options.

thank you

You're welcome!

I am one important issue

What's that?

When we called the insurance........ they say that my policy i deactived, i have policy document valid till jul 4th
they saying that since card didnt go through..they deatived. we have no cancellation notification either
we opened claim, but they are telling it is lapse from jan 4th..please suggest what should i do in this situation..will the insurance cover claim? t
they didnot send us any notification of cancellation.
we use progressive insurance in NJ

Your insurance company is not going to want to cover the claim if your payment was declined. But yes, they are required to give you 30 days notice in New Jersey before deactivating the policy. You'd have to take them to court, but if you got no notice the law is on your side.

The insurance has put our claim on hold...within what period they should reach back? We already told them we are travelling tomm. How should approach we approach them? How can we collect evidence to prove that the insurance is avoiding .

This is now way outside of the scope of the original question, and it involves insurance law which is not my specialty. I don't want to misinform you. You need to post another question in general legal where an insurance lawyer can assist you.

ok