Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I bumped someone's car Wednesday night as we were both

Hi, I bumped someone's...

Hi, I bumped someone's car Wednesday night as we were both turning left. I freaked out and did a turn and tried to get away from him but he followed me. I parked in a shopping center and after I got out I looked at both cars, saw no damage , saw another person I his car and I took off.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

Delaware

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes February 2nd

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I called the police at 6:30 the next day to turn myself in but they said no warrant was issued, I went in at 6 pm to talk to the officer who responded and gave him my insurance information and gave a statement.

1/12/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You said that you need to appear in court. Did the officer ticket you for fleeing the scene?

I have 4 violations, leaving the scene f property collision accident. Failure to provide information at collision scene resulting in property damage. Following a motor vehicle too closely. Removal at a vehicle from the scene od a property damage collision.
There is no damage to m vehicle
My vehicle

Thank you.

Since the other party did not contact the police, they have no evidence of property damage. You should be able to get those counts dismissed. To convict you of a crime, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you caused damage to someone else's property. They can't do that with no witness.

They did call the police

That's a little different, because it makes it more likely you could be convicted of following too closely. But if they can't prove damage to the car, you still may be able to get those counts dismissed.

When you go to the courthouse on Feb. 2, the judge will go over the charges. You have a right to have an attorney represent you. If you can't afford one, the judge has to appoint one to represent you at no cost. Then you'll enter a plea of not guilty, and that gives you time to prepare a defense or negotiate a deal.

Am I looking at any jail time? Should I call the public defenders office?

You have a right to copies of all the evidence against you, and your lawyer can request that. They'll need pictures showing damage, which it sounds like they won't have.

Failure to provide information does carry the possibility of jail, if they can show damage or injury. That's why it's so important to have a lawyer. The public defender's office will have someone at the courthouse already, but you can call them before you go in.

Thank you

You're welcome. Good luck.

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer