Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Yeah I just got a speeding ticket on the causeway trying to…

Hey, yeah I just...

Hey, yeah I just got a speeding ticket on the causeway trying to pass someone up. They said I was going 89 but I dont believe I was going that fast. I was just trying to see if there was some way to challenge it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Jefferson yeah I have to appear in court.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Yes, there is and if you want to do so, it is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

How big of penalty would i be facing if I didn't get this ticket dismissed or at least knocked down? 89 in a 65

The fines an court cost could be a few hundred dollars. The real impact is going to be with your insurance, so you may want to speak with them and see how much a citation for speeding, may/could affect your rate/premium.

would it be cheaper and easier if I got an attorney?
I wouldn't be arrested for the excessive speed would I?

No, you would not and Yes, I think it would be a lot easier if you retained counsel, since they have knowledge and experience about this.

CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Alright, thank you.

My pleasure