Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Can a police officer pull off and your car

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
1/3/2018
Traffic Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

Can you explain more about your situation?

I got pull over by a police officer they said they smell weed and the car then they asked me can he search my car I said no then he said he was going to walk the dog around my car and a other offers pull off and my car the other offers put me and his car and take me to a build an hour later they said they found drug an the car

I'm sorry to hear that.

Whether a stop is legal isn't based on what happened after it occurred, but the information known to the officer at the time of the stop. Did they give any reason for pulling you over?

They said I was seeding but they was following me around i get to a stop sign and pull off they when the police pull me over.he ask me for my driving license and then they said they smell weed and the car then ask me can he search my car I said no then he asked me did I have anything know me I said no then he search me don't get any thing off me then the other offers pull off and my car

To pull you over, they need probable cause to believe you've committed a traffic violation. Speeding would be enough, as would running a stop sign. It's not generally illegal for police to trail someone on public roads unless or until they commit a traffic violation. But it could be a civil rights violation if you were targeted because of your race or ethnicity. If you weren't speeding, then it tends to look like they just pulled you over because they wanted to search, and that's illegal.

A criminal defense attorney may be able to file a Motion to Suppress on your behalf. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you at no cost at your first hearing.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer