Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I just got convicted for the first time for speeding and I…

Customer Question
Hi I just got...

Hi I just got convicted for the first time for speeding and I know really the only way I can totally get out of it is winning my court case. Is there any way you could help me with that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisville Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

It says I have a court date, or I can pay the fee, but I know paying the fee won't like totally get me covered from it being on my record right?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just that it's my first time getting into trouble with Anything and I'm really just wanting to know my best options

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Traffic Lawyer: QuickEasyLegalHelp, Attorney replied 1 month ago
QuickEasyLegalHelp

Hi, I am a Traffic Law expert and I will be helping you. Nice to meet you!

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

You have already done your research. And I'm sorry to say you are correct.

In order to "totally get out of it" as you say, you would need to plead not guilty and fight the ticket. To do that, you would need to request a hearing, prepare your case (possibly with an attorney), give up the option to plead to a lesser charge. Of course if you win, you would pay no fees (except the court fees if there are any and your lawyer's fees if you hired one, which is definitely recommended).

So there are some costs associated with fighting the ticket, but if you are sure you can win, it's a guarantee that you will be acquitted and there will be no record and no fine.

At this point I always like to tell clients that IF YOU WERE SPEEDING, it is going to be difficult to dispute it. So only go to trial if you are sure you will win.

In the alternative, you can hire an attorney who can negotiate with the District Attorney assigned to the case and you might be able to get the charge down from a moving violation to a lesser charge, which might not result in points on your license.

You can also represent yourself and please no contest (which has the same result as a guilty plea) and pay the fine, but this would not, as you say, "get you out of it."

I hope this has been super helpful and I wish you so much good luck with resolving your speeding case!

If I have answered your question, please click YES/ACCEPT on your screen. It does not cost you anything to click and it is the only way I can get credit for my work, and of course a positive 5 star rating would be appreciated. You can still ask me all your follow up questions, even after you please click YES/ACCEPT.

I wish you all the best in 2018.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there any way I can contact the police officer that pulled me over or even the judge and try explaining to them? Or talk to the officer and try to have him drop the charge?

I'm so sorry but it is out of the police officers hands now, it is in the court's hands. The officer cannot drop the charge, it's already with the court.

And as for explaining to the Judge...that's the trial. Yes, you can absolutely have a trial in which you will have a full opportunity to speak to the Judge and as you say, explain to them about why you should not be charged with speeding.

Does that make sense?

QuickEasyLegalHelp
QuickEasyLegalHelp
QuickEasyLegalHelp, Attorney