Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I recently got arrested for reckless driving and speeding.

I recently got arrested...

I recently got arrested for reckless driving and speeding. While driving back to fort hood. And have to appear to court on feb 6. I my leadership is tracking but this being my first offense I don’t know what to expect. Do I just show up for court and hope for the best?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It happened in illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s all.

1/2/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Under Illinois state law, reckless driving is a misdemeanor offense, punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a fine of up to $2500.

The speeding should be just be considered a civil infraction and will carry a fine.

Since the RD charge is a misdemeanor offense though, with potentially damaging penalties you should look into hiring a lawyer to represent you.

Depending on the facts of what exactly happened, you may have some valid legal defenses that you may not know about. A lawyer may even be able to get the charges dismissed based on a violation of your rights or the officer's violation of the rules of criminal procedure.

In any event, since this is your first ever criminal offense, you are also eligible for pre trial deferment and should make sure your lawyer inquires about that as well. Pre trial deferment is a program reserved for first time offenders, and involves some community service hours, attending some driver safety classes, and/or paying a fine. Then upon successful completion of the program, the charges against you are dismissed.

Also, if you can't afford a lawyer right now, the court will appoint you a public defender at your first court date.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the information

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones