Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I got a speeding ticket for 53mph in a 30mph, the original…

Customer Question
I got a speeding...

I got a speeding ticket for 53mph in a 30mph, the original ticket cited 5mph over 30mph, it was not entered into the system until at least 28 days later as I called to see what the issue was because it wasn't showing up online, they had no record of the ticket and said to call back later after they looked for why it wasn't in the system, I then scheduled a hearing officer meeting which I went to on the 29th of this month (2 and half months after the original ticket), they said the officer made an error on the ticker and I couldn't get a continuance for dismissal because it was over 20mph the speed limit, I was not told of the ticket error and there was a letter sent to the county courts on the 19th which was never sent to me changing the 5mph over 30 to 53mph, I would like to get this ticket off my insurance because I can't afford to have it go up as I am a graduate student, I live in Minnetonka MN

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnetonka, MN

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

I could plead guilty and pay two hundred something at a hearing officer meeting or go to court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of, just that I am also wondering is there a certain amount of time a ticket is supposed to be entered into the system, and can it be amended two months later?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
1/2/2018
Traffic Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

Your questions were:

I am also wondering is there a certain amount of time a ticket is supposed to be entered into the system...?

...(And) can it be amended two months later?

As to the first question, there is no specified date or deadline by which a ticket is entered into the system. Th courts are barely catching up to the technology of the early 2000s much less 2018. The only rule is that it must be entered into the system and the charge brought before the statute of limitations expires, which is usually six months to a year. In addition, the ticket being entered into the system isn't the rigger, it is the charge being brought, which is done by the officer issuing the ticket,. The ticket being entered into "the system" is purely an administrate task.

As to the ticket being amended, yes. It can be amended at any time up until the verdict form is given to the judge or jury.

Is there any way to keep the ticket off of my insurance?

First, you could hire a lawyer and work out a deal that keeps it off. Second you could hire a lawyer and have them take it to trial and win, third the lawyer could prepare for trial and then try to get the prosecutor to back down. Those are the general methods of achieving your desire.

How would the lawyer be able to work out a deal to keep it off?

Please forgive any mistypes. It appears there is some trash under the keys which is quite difficult to remove.

Your question was: How would the lawyer be able to work out a deal to keep it off?

Te way to get good deals is to make the state believe their case is weaker that they believe is weaker than it actually is. That can be done many ways and varies from case to case. I have taken cases to trial, all the awy from simple tickets to murders.

I will be signing off in just a little while but will be back on tomorrow .