Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I moved to Palm Springs from Ohio. I need to obtain a CA…

Customer Question
I moved to Palm...

I moved to Palm Springs from Ohio. I need to obtain a CA title and tags. What do I need to do? thank you,

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/28/2017
Traffic Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 6 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Congratulations on your move. I'm sure you won't miss that cold Ohio weather! It's actually pretty straightforward. After establishing residency in California, go to a local DMV office and submit:

• An Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343) with the signatures of all owners, the information for any lienholders, if applicable.
  • Proof of vehicle insurance
  • Out-of-state title, as you're transferring your title to California.
  • Out-of-state registration.
    • You may also use a registration renewal or letter showing registration from the DMV in the last state where it was registered.
  • Smog and emissions certification
  • Payment for all fees and taxes

A DMV employee will perform a physical inspection of the vehicle and a VIN verification. You will receive a California registration certificate, plus license plates and registration stickers for your vehicle.

There is a $56 registration fee, and a California Highway Patrol fee of $24 that will be assessed.

You are supposed to complete the registration process within 20 days of moving.

Please let me know if I may clarify anything or you need additional information.