Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I have a 25 yr old trafic violation in Michigan the fine is…

Customer Question
I have a 25...

I have a 25 yr old trafic violation in Michigan the fine is 1500.00 and I have told them I would pay it. However the only way they will accept is if I go to MI. I live in TN , am 55 yrs old and because of this violation I am unable to get drivers license in TN. What can I do legally

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

I have missed two court hearings years ago because I live in TN

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/22/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

When a traffic ticket goes unpaid and the driver doesn't show up to dispute it, often the judge will enter a bench warrant for that person's arrest. The way to get the bench warrant cleared up is to appear in court in person and ask the judge to remove it. It's possible that's why they're asking you to come in. They won't reinstate your license while you have a warrant for not appearing on a traffic charge. Call the traffic court in the county where the ticket was issued and ask if they show a warrant with your name on it. If they do, you might have to go to court. You could, however, try hiring a local attorney to go for you and ask that you be allowed to appear by phone.

If there isn't a warrant, see if they'll can explain why they're requiring an in person payment. It's unusual to not accept payment via phone or mail, but it's possible a local attorney could help you clear it up. Otherwise, the option is to travel to Michigan so you can get your license reinstated.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer