Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I have a question about car accident. 2015 Michigan

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about car accident

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

2015 Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/15/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What is your question?

I got in to a car accident and it wasn’t my fault but I did not know that the car I was driving didn’t had insurance at that time I would like to know what’s goons happen
I just would like to know if you can help me with my questions

I can, it'll just take a few minutes to type up the response. Thank you for your patience.

No problem

Michigan does no fault insurance, which means that it doesn't matter who causes an auto accident. Everyone who drives a car is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is covered. The way it works is, your no-fault insurance would pay for the damage to your car, and their insurance would pay for the damage to their car. The only exception would be if you were parked and someone hit your unattended vehicle.

An uninsured driver cannot seek compensation from the other driver in an accident, even if they were 100% at fault. Mich. Stat., Section(###) ###-####/a>. The other driver's insurance company could seek reimbursement for damages from you, and if you don't pay within 30 days, they can have your license suspended (same statute).

Driving without insurance is also a misdemeanor. So it's possible that you will be charged with a crime. If that happens, getting insurance can sometimes help mitigate the punishment.

One of the person on the other car got out and walk away from the scene. Never came back to the scene I got neck and back injury the pasager that was with me got serious injuries what can I do about that
I was driving when they hit me

I'm sorry, but since you're not insured, your own medical insurance would have to cover your injuries. No-fault insurance means that each driver's insurance covers their medical bills, regardless of who caused the accident.

There’s no way I can do a lawsuit

If you get sued, you may be able to discharge a judgment in bankruptcy. The other option is to try to reach some kind of agreement with the insurance company to see if you can avoid getting your license suspended or revoked.

I meant to say if I can lawsuit the person that hit me

Ah, OK. I'm sorry, but no. The law doesn't allow you to recover. They'd be able to get the case dismissed, and you've have spent the filing fee for nothing.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer