Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I was in a traffic accident on I476 last weekend caused by…

Customer Question
Hi I...

Hi I was in a traffic accident on I476 last weekend caused by my cruise control being on when I reached a bad section of the road an hour after it was done waiting on the side of the road for a tow truck for the other driver a State Trooper pulled up wrote up the report and told me I was being mailed a ticket for traveling at an unsafe speed I'm a NJ driver ????

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

In Pa on I476

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a clean driving record and just completed a driver improvement course about three weeks ago LOL

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/15/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

New Jersey and Pennsylvania belong to a nationwide Driver License Compact. This is an agreement among the states that belong to the compact to coordinate driving enforcement and to cooperate with one another.

When you get a moving violation in another state (like PA) NJ will assess two points against your license record. In addition if you do not pay the PA ticket and PA suspends your license NJ will suspend the license as well.

The good new is that this should be a ticket that you can fight. Because the state trooper was not present when the accident occurred he can not testify as to how fast you were going. Also anything the other driver said the the trooper would be "Hearsay" which you should object to.

So you have a choice - pay the ticket and get the fines and the points OR fight the ticket. Fighting the ticket will require you to come back to PA and appear before a magistrate. BUT you may be able to either win or convince the prosecutor to reduce the citation to a non-moving violation so that there would be no points.

If you fight the ticket you will mark Not Guilty n the ticket and mail it back to the court. You will also have to pay the fine up front, but it will be refunded if you win.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer