Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I have a court date tomorrow at 8:30 am and I totally

Customer Question
Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a court date tomorrow at 8:30 am and I totally forget. Can I get an attorney to go on my behalf?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?

It's for a speeding ticket in Mamakating Town Court

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

I'm supposed to :( But I'm a court reporter and I accepted a job in NYC tomorrow I totally forgot

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No but I have questions.. should I just ask the attorney?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/14/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. No, if the ticket says you must make a personal appearance, which it should if this is your first hearing, then you cannot send someone else to attend, even an attorney. If you fail to get the prosecutors office or the court to continue your case (by calling them first thing this morning) and you don't show up, the court can issue a bench warrant for your arrest for failure to appear. So, you definitely want to either attend or get an affirmative answer from one of the individuals I mentioned above about a continuance.

If you already do have an attorney, then they might be able to make the calls to continue the case, however, at this short notice getting a hold of your attorney and then them being able to get a hold of the prosecutor or the judge is not likely.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you