Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I was in grief over death. I gave my car away to a guy and…

Customer Question
I was in grief...

I was in grief over death. I gave my car away to a guy and signed over title. For some reason I did not record his information. He was going to re register it. Now the DMV is suing me for 2 years registration fees. Is there a way they can track down this vehicle? I haven't seen it in two years. I want to get rid of this liability. I wrote them a letter months ago explaining the situation but they essentially ignored it and now I get a letter asking for the same info that I do not have and double the payment! What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California. I'm sorry but I moved and I do not have the guy's information. I am assuming he re registered it. Is there a way to track it down?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No they are just asking for information I do not have and two years registration fees and I haven't even driven it in two years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just don't know what to do--I explained everything to them in a letter and basically asked for mercy. I am still dealing with the death of 3 people close to me.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/14/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

My deepest sympathies for your losses.

Your Question:

I was in grief over death. I gave my car away to a guy and signed over title. For some reason I did not record his information. He was going to re register it. Now the DMV is suing me for 2 years registration fees. Is there a way they can track down this vehicle?

Response: Unfortunately, no. You can contact your local Police for assistance. The Police may be able to locate the car for you.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I was hoping for a more complete answer than "No." I was hoping to be told what I could do about my problem--not just that DMV couldn't track it. What do I do about fixing the problem of lost documents. Sorry if I was not clear.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law