Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I’m curious to know a answer to a question about tints. I…

Customer Question
I’m curious to know...

I’m curious to know a answer to a question about tints

Lawyer's Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

I live in New York and I have 5% all around

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

But when my car is in motion I have my windows down but the officer pulling me over telling me to roll them up. Can they do that and give me a ticket??

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I haven’t consulted an attorney

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/12/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Did you mean 5% or 50%?

I have 5% all around the car
But if my windows is down and I get pull over for something other than my tints. And they dismiss that and tell me to roll up my windows after they was down so they can give me a ticket. I wanna know if they can do that after my window was down?

The law in NYS as of January 1, 2017 is that windows must let in 70% of the light from the front and side windows. If the front windows look too dark, the officer would have probable cause to ask you to roll up your window. However, he can ticket you based on the front window alone.

Ok he also said he wouldn’t issue me any points. Last time I remember you can’t get points on your license for having tints

Correct. It's not a moving violation, so there are no points. It's illegal with too dark tints just sitting in a parking spot.

Sometimes a court will treat it as a fix-it ticket. That is, if you can show you had the tint removed right away after the ticket was issued a judge may be willing to dismiss the case. That's especially true if you can demonstrate to the judge that you bought the vehicle that way without realizing the tint was too dark.

Vehicles with too dark tint will not be able to pass inspection anymore. You'll see that in the article I linked you to.

No there’s no way to dismiss tint tickets so that’s incorrect but thanks tho

I practice in NYS. It's been known to happen now and again at the discretion of the judge. A judge can always dismiss a case if he wants to.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney