Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I live in Nevada and just got a speeding ticket in Murrieta,

Customer Question
California. How do I get...
I live in Nevada and just got a speeding ticket in Murrieta, California. How do I get the ticket dismiss? Can I attend traffic school? How do I inform the judge for the approval so it doesn’t appear on my driving record? Do I have to appear in court since I live out of state?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/11/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You do not need to go to court unless the ticket is marked "required appearance." For most speeding tickets, you can simply mail in the payment to avoid going to the courthouse. However, the only way to get the ticket dismissed is to go to court and plead not guilty. You would then go back for a trial.

At trial, unless the officer fails to show up (which happens about 1% of the time, possibly less), you'll have to present a valid defense to the ticket. The problem is, there aren't many. Speeding is a strict liability offense, so the reason a person is driving above the speed limit isn't legally relevant. For them to get a conviction, all they have to show is what the speed limit it is and how fast you were going. Some ways people try to avoid a ticket is to argue that the officer got them confused with another car, that the officer couldn't see clearly because of time of day or weather conditions, and things like that. But in my time working in traffic court, the vast majority of people who came in to dispute tickets were prosecuted.

It's possible you'd have a better chance by hiring a lawyer. However, you have to pay the lawyer upfront and you if you lose you still have to pay the ticket, so sometimes hiring a lawyer in this situation costs people more.

Unfortunately, a non-California resident cannot attend traffic school in California to remove a ticket from their record. The class would only erase the CA record, but the ticket would still be reported to Nevada (because that's done before traffic school is completed). It would be a waste of your time and money to attend the class.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.

Do you have any questions about this?