Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

How often do policy need to calibrate their laser gun? I…

Customer Question
How often do policy...

How often do policy need to calibrate their laser gun? I have a court date today for speeding. I do not believe that I was traveling at the rate of speed that I was charged with.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes, It was the state of Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Today at 1:00 p.m.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just that!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/7/2017
Traffic Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
There is no law that requires calibration. However, it is a policy of all departments to calibrate the laser guns.Ussing calibration records won't ensure that you'll get out of the ticket. However, because guns have to be calibrated regularly, it might be worth the effort if you can show that the gun in your case wasn't calibrated properly.According to the operations manuals that come with police radar, to ensure accuracy every radar unit is supposed to be calibrated with tuning forks before each and every working shift and also before and after being used to detect each speeding violation. The forks used to tune are also sensitive creatures: If not kept in a box protecting them from moisture and jostling, they become inaccurate.Many officers calibrate, however they calibrate incorrectly and what they usually mean is that they flicked on a switch built into the radar unit itself, then switched it back to regular operation.What is actually required is calibration by tuning fork, and that difference may be important to you. If you ask about calibrating with a tuning fork, and the officer who ticketed you has not testified to doing so, it may be enough to get the ticket dismissed.
I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars.
If you have any other questions please just ask
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer