Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I recently received a red-light camera ticket. I was turning…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. I recently...

Hi Pearl. I recently received a red-light camera ticket. I was turning right-on-red when someone in the lane furthest from me (going the same direction) sped through the light, creating photo citation. The camera also tagged my car in the intersection but since I was legally turning right on red, I don't much feel like paying the fine. What should I do next?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Amarillo, Texas. Potter County.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

I don't think so. It was just mailed to me with a return envelope. I actually remember the morning it happened so I wasn't really surprised when I got It.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of! Anything you know of that could be of help?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/4/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

All good. Thanks.
Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I'm sorry to hear that happened.

Based on the information you shared, you should definitely contest the ticket and attend court (or hire a traffic lawyer to attend court on your behalf).

Once the red light photos are reviewed, you would be cleared from your ticket -- and would therefore not have to pay any fines or receive any points on your license.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Do I just call the city and tell them I want to contest a ticket?
Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Yes, that is one option.

There should also have been information included in the citation you received, on how to elect to attend a court date.

I hope that helps!

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!