Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Last night I was driving and I didn't noticed that my lights…

Customer Question
Last night I was...

Last night I was driving and I didn't noticed that my lights weren't on. The police stopped me also because I don't have a license. I have to appear in court. How does this affect me? Does it go to my life record? What can I do? I'm 17 years old can I still get my drivers license?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes I do

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/3/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This will go on your driving record when you get a license and can remain on there for several years (they remove one point from your license for every 36 months without a citation). They will allow you to obtain a license now and you would need to present proof of the license to the court and the court has a right to then suspend the license for up to 90 days for driving without a license, or they can issue probation. For a first offense, if you get your license, the prosecutor can offer a deferred judgment, meaning if you abide by the law and do not get any further tickets in 6-12 months (depending on the prosecutor) and pay any fines due and complete any schools they insist you attend, they will dismiss the citation and it will never get reported to DMV and will not go on your record.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.