Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I receive a ticket on 11-25-17 for FLD DUE CARE FOR EMERG…

Customer Question
Good evening, I receive...

Good evening, I receive a ticket on 11-25-17 for FLD DUE CARE FOR EMERG VEH STOPPED OR STANDING. but I didn't know I had to move over when I see a car stopped by the state trooper. I told him that and still gave a ticket.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

But on the ticket there is no $ amount or anything. it only says "return by mail before or in person on: 12-12-17 @ 5:00 pm.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That how much is the ticket, and if they find me guilty do I get any points in my license.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/2/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I' m sorry to hear that happened.

Unfortunaltey not knowing the law is not a viable defense. You could still however elect to hire traffic lawyer to appear at the court date on your behalf, and contest the ticket.

There's a possibility that the officer may not show up to court, in which case the ticket would be dismissed. There's also the possibility that the judge will use his discretion to reduce the ticket and assess a lesser fee due to you not knowing the law, especially if you have a fairly clean driving record.

If you elect to pay the fine outright, the fee is $275 and there will be 3 points assessed to your license.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Ok, thank you. Just another thing, it was my first time coming out if the NYC area. I was going upstate with my boyfriend to Stony Creek, NY to a farm. Please let me know what I can do so I don’t get those points, I’ll pay the ticket if I have to. Thank you!
Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Have you previously elected to attend traffic school? If not, then you can elect to do so, pay the ticket, and this would avoid points being assessed to your license.

See:

https://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/defensive-driving.php

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Traffic Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!