Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

What is the difference between something in your record that…

Customer Question
What is the difference...

What is the difference between something in your record that specifies speeding and a ticket for a 14-218a? just wondering because I received a speeding ticket, then I went to court and it was changed to a CT 14-218a but on my driving record is still showing was a speeding ticket

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The ticket was given to me in CT but my license is in MA when I called the DMV in MA I was told they were not changing my driving record unless I was found not guilty even thought my ticket changed from a speeding ticket to a CT 14-218a ticket so I was wondering if I should even bother

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

I did went to court of that already

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/1/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

When you look at the ticket, what does it say, exactly? Is there not some sort of code on it? Can you scan and attach both sides of the citation?

This is what I was given in court when I went on September.

OK, please give me some time to review these. I'll be with you shortly.

Hi there,

So sorry for the long delay. I had to step away from the system for a while. Thank you for your patience.

Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: You asked what the difference is between 14-218a and speeding, which is listed on the ticket as 14-219(c).

14-218a, Traveling unreasonably fast, is a less serious offense than 14-219(c)(1), Speeding. So they actually did you a favor by issuing you a lesser offense because the penalty for 14-218a is less than for 12-219(c)(1).

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Can you see my response, posted above?

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Do you need more help?

Thank you!

I see that you are able to view my answer. Is there something else you need help with?