Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic ticket in South Dakota. Told you already. I missed…

Customer Question
Traffic ticket in South...

Traffic ticket in South Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Told you already

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Are you a bot

Lawyer's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the lawyer more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I missed the court date, fine was imposed, i want to appeal

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/30/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Not a bot :-) Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

When was your court date?

Ms. Kent, thanks. My daughter missed her court date in Bennett County, SD on 14 Nov 2017. She was issued a "power of attorney" traffic ticket on 13 Oct 2017 for expired tags and driving without a license.She wants to appeal. What does she have to do? What motions can she file?

Okay, I see. So since this is relatively recent, she'd want to go down to the courthouse and explain that she "accidentally" missed her court date, "forgot" about it, or something similar (assuming it was true) and ask for the case to be reopened. You'd be surprised how many people mess up the dates of their hearing and ask for the court to reopen the case - and it's generally not a problem.

I see that you request a phone call but it looks like it didn't go through. Experts don't have much control over that but if you contact customer service they should be able to fix the problem.

I want a draft motion to file for circuit court in Bennett County, SD.
Don't need a call right now.
I would like to know how many days does she have to file a timely appeal. Does she have an automatic right of appeal? What must be in her appeal?

In general, all you need to do is go to the court and explain the situation and they'll usually give a do-over in traffic court. You WANT that do-over b/c if you lose there you would appeal it. But if you go straight to appeal then you lose a chance to win at the lowest level.

I would like you to be specific on South Dakota. Can my daughter fax in her appeal to Bennett County?
Again, how many days does she have to appeal?

.

Do you have a copy of the court order?

i have a copy of her ticket

Take a look at this link: https://www.dmv.org/sd-south-dakota/fighting-your-traffic-ticket.php

Halfway down the page is where you would click if you missed your court appearance. They will reschedule it for you. That's why I'm trying to tell you you should do that - instead of jumping straight to an appeal.

If you'd like to try to appeal your conviction, the rules for doing so differ depending on your court and charges.

If you were tried in a:

• Magistrate court for misdemeanor charges, you must file an appeal:
    • Within 10 days of conviction.
    • With the South Dakota circuit court in the county where you originally contested your ticket.
  • Circuit court for felony charges, you'll need to file an appeal:
    • Within 30 days of conviction.
    • With the SD Supreme Court.
If my daughter missed the 10 day cutoff, can she file another motion, motion to rehear, to reopen?

She needs to contact the court at the link I sent you in order to schedule her court date. I'm sorry but are you not getting my messages? I've stated three times now that she needs to contact the court to have them essentially give her a do-over but I'm getting your questions about appeals which make me wonder whether you're getting my answers.

She spoke to the circuit court clerk in Bennett County, and the clerk said there is nothing she can do. No appeal. No do-over.
Do you practice in SD?

We're contractually not permitted to represent customers of the site.

That's very unusual. I would contact them again and state that you were told by numerous people that if someone accidentally misses a court appearance the court will grant them the opportunity to do it over.

Did she do it in person - speak to the court clerk? If not, I would do that. You may also wish to contact an attorney - I only tell people that as a last resort!

The best way to find one in SD would be to go to www.martindale.com.

i've asked for a draft or sample of a notice of appeal, motion to reopen, motion to rehear in SD. You are not helping me with my request.

I don't have a document - or documents - to give you so I will opt out of this question and open it to the rest of our experts. If anyone has samples for you they will respond.