Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

My son rear ended a trailer and got a 169.14.1 citation,

Customer Question
Hi. My son...

Hi. My son rear ended a trailer and got a 169.14.1 citation, duty to drive with due care. He has to go to court. Any idea what penalty he faces?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Cant think of anything. Just anxious about what's going to happen to him He has a parking ticket on his record prior to this, but that's it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/29/2017
Traffic Lawyer: LegalEase101, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
LegalEase101
LegalEase101, Lawyer
Hello,This offense is classified as a petty misdemeanor under Minnesota law. Upon conviction, it appears to carry a fine of $40, or $118 including court costs. He would not be entitled to a jury trial if he chooses to contest the charge - instead, the judge would determine his guilt or innocence. No jail time would be involved. The parking violation should not have any affect on the penalty in this case since it is not a moving violation.Hope this helps!