Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I have a vehicle that I sold and 20 days later it was towed.

Customer Question
I have a vehicle...

I have a vehicle that I sold and 20 days later it was towed. I have the release of liability that has the date and even signed by the other party. I sent it in to the DMV and I don't know if they never received it or if it just has not processed. The tow collection agency is after me since the dmv still shows me as the legal owner. They wont accept my release of liability paperwork as proof since it isn't stamped by the dmv. Triple AAA even helped me submit the paperwork again electronically to the dmv and that is stamped but with a date is after the tow date.How can I fight this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Not yet. I called the collection agency and they said if I don't pay they will sue me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have all the paperwork i mentioned and i spoke with the person who i sold the car to originally. i might be able to get him to sign something saying it was out of my possession. ideally i would not want to contact him again.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/28/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

ok no problem. I'll be back in 20 minutes.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Unfortunately, until the title transfer is complete, you are ultimately responsible because you are the legal owner of the vehicle. If the tow happened while in the possession of the Buyer, you need to look to the Buyer to pay for the tow or reimburse you for paying the tow. Also and more importantly, if the Buyer has not recorded the transfer with the DMV, the Buyer needs to do so now. Otherwise, as the registered owner, you remain liable for any accident or tow that occurs until transfer is completed.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.