Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Violation of probation for driving a car without an

Customer Question
Violation of probation for...

Violation of probation for driving a car without an interlock device. i had blown into my issued pocket breathalyzer 30 mins prior. i was pulled over for no front plate (in new york) and hen issued that ticket as well as the no interlock device ticket.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I have an alternative sentence if i violate probation. 60 days in jail and 5 years probation. i had a scram bracelet june 14 and probation breached contract by having me wear it 10 more days than required. i not have a personal breathalyzer and interlock in my car. the car i was driving was for work and it is my first violation. i have not had any alcohol since sentenced, nor do i plan to. i had a work situation where a car had to get to a rally and i made a stupid mistake.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Probation just submitted the violation last week, i do not have a date as of yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My probation officer is fairly new and she is not very thorough and tells me that i am the least of her concern. she also went to the wrong address (after being to my apartment several times) and i was forced to reschedule due to her mistakes.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/27/2017
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 7 months ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Can you please clarify for me what your question is?

basically, breach of contract. The State of NY breached contract because they didn't have my SCRAM bracelet off in time. I broke contract because I drove a car to a rally, got pulled over for no front plate and then issued a ticket for no interlock device. Honestly, I was in law school for a year before I went through a divorce and I have never seen such unprofessional conduct by a department (Particularly my probation officer). i currently work as an operations manager of a car fleet. I do not drive them, I am in charge of the company, and it is very frustrating how they broke contract, she advised me that everything would be ok after the interlock ticket, and then she banged me with a violation and I have a plea sentence agreement for 60 days in jail and 5 yr probation. I have done everything else correct and i have low into my device 4 times a day. i just want to know if there are any loop wholes that i can use to my advantage.

I just want to make sure I understand your argument. You first talked about the interlock device which was required but not in the car and are also talking about a SCRAM bracelet.

nevermind. This clearly isn't going anywhere. It is the overall picture, you should know that.

I understand what you are sharing but the issue is the violation and not having the device in your vehicle. In order to avoid jail, you need to have a defense or legal basis, for which this was not present. The fact that the SCRAM bracelet was not taken off in time, is not a defense to what you are charged with. Had they tried to violate you for that and the time had passed, it would be relevant but in this case, one thing is not related to another, for a defense.

A defendant can not argue that a separate issue and problem they had, justifies and excuses the current violation when they are not related.