Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I was recentlt arrested for driving with a suspended

Customer Question
I was recentlt arrested...

I was recentlt arrested for driving with a suspended license. I have two other priors for this the first time I was unaware that it was suspended. This last time I wasnt aware either as I just recieved a new registration for my car . What should I expect in court ?

Lawyer's Assistant: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

First two in Florida the last in Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
Two were in Florida . The recent one was in Ga.
11/26/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney replied 7 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Since there is a national drivers database that would show your suspensions from anywhere in the country, it is entirely possible that Georgia will see this as your third, rather than your first offense, and treat you accordingly. However, if the earlier offenses were at least 5 years ago, this would be considered a misdemeanor.

The penalty possibiities for the misdemeanor driving on a suspended license have a minimum of two days in jail up to a maximum of a year. If you're already out, it's unlikely that they will put you back in for the two days. And typically something other than jail is standard for this sort of offense, a large fine, for example or probation. Nevertheless, the penalties for this offense are serious in Georgia, and you need to take this very seriously.

If this is considered a 2nd or 3rd offense within 5 years, it is still a misdemeanor. BUT it is a high an aggravated misdemeanor where the mandatory minimum is 10 days of jail and some jail time would be likely.

Upon conviction, you would face a further suspension of your driving privileges for 6 months to a year. Resolving the case will not allow you to drive again, even after the suspension period is up unless you go to the DMV and apply for reinstatement. The Reinstatement fee is a hefty one depending upon how many convictions you've had within 5 years -- anywhere from $300 to $400 to drive again.

It is best you have a criminal lawyer with you on your court date.

I dont think I was convicted of DWLS the charges were dropped . Does that help ? If I get my license reinstated before court.

If you were not previously convicted of driving with a suspended license, yes, that would help. If you can get your license reinstated before your court date, that would put you in a better bargaining position because you'd have solved the immediate problem. However, on a plea to the charge it would be suspended again. That's another reason why it would be a good idea to have a lawyer with you. If you can reinstate your license, he may be able to work out a deal with the prosecutor to let you plead guilty to a different traffic matter so that you won't have to lose your license again.