Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I received a red light ticket. I was the first car in line…

Customer Question
Hi, I received...

Hi, I received a red light ticket. I was the first car in line to go straight. I was next to the left turn lane. After the green left turn arrow came on and the left lane emptied, I remembered I need to go left to the drug store to pick up my rx. So, I turned left. There was no way I could have gotten into the left turn lane. Is that an upholdable violation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No. I can contest it by mail or in person or pay it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/22/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, regardless of the reason you did what you did and there is no way you could get into the lane, that is a mitigating circumstance not a defense to you going through the light if it was red I am afraid. If you were in the wrong lane and went through and made a turn, that too is a violation I am afraid.

So yes, it is an upholdable violation, but as we tell most people who get tickets they always should go to court and plead not guilty and then negotiate a deal with the prosecutor, because most prosecutors will reduce the violation or make some deal for the driver to avoid it being reported on their license as all they are interested in is the fine money.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.